Friday, October 8, 2010 | By: Nikki

Day 1: A recent picture of you and 15 interesting facts about yourself


Ok, it was a little difficult finding a recent photo, but this is a drunken one from last Saturday. Yes, that's a real old-school bike helmet and yes, there are a shitload of books in that room. Additionally, it's probably the only time you'll ever see a photo of me without makeup online. Now, for the 15 "interesting" facts:

1.  I'm terrified of commitment. I always worry that I may be missing out on a better offer. As a result, I'm even terrible at making the most insignificant of decisions - just ask my friends what it's like to take me to the dvd store. I would love to be in a committed relationship with someone, but I always feel like I'd be settling and giving up the opportunity for something better. I also can't commit to a career path, which is why I've studied so many different things at university.

2.  I did karate for about 7 years when I was younger. I loved it at first but eventually came to hate it; however, my parents refused to let me quit until I got my black belt. I eventually won out though, and quit at the grade before black belt. Now I'm kicking myself for getting so close and wish my parents had been more persistent. Sometimes I feel like going back, but I've forgotten so much and I'd feel like an idiot.

3.  I can write fluently backwards, as well as upside down. I don't ever remember teaching myself to do it; the ability has just always been there. I thought everyone could do it, but I've read research that says otherwise and that it's possibly linked to atypical language pathways, so now I feel like a bit of a freak. Or perhaps awesome.

4.  I'm a diehard (men's) tennis fan. I could watch it all day and still not get bored. If you want to know who won Wimbledon in 1986, then I'm probably your girl. (FYI, it was Boris Becker.)

5.  I've only been given flowers once in my life. It was a strange experience too. I was killing some time by reading in my car at Bibra Lake and a couple of guys pulled up next to me. A few minutes later, the driver yelled out hello to me and he and I started talking. After a while, they left. They returned a few minutes later, pulled into the flower-shop across the road, and then the guy gave me a pretty bouquet and asked for my number. He did call me, but I missed his call and he had his number on private so I couldn't call him back. That was the last I heard of him, but hey, it makes for an interesting story.

6.  I'm a sucker for blue eyes. Not simply because they're pretty, but also because I'm stuck with dark eyes and dark hair so seeing someone with actual colour in their face is really awesome for me. Opposites attract, right? It's also great because you can watch their pupils and tell when they're interested.

7.  My first (and only) job was working for an auto parts store. My dad also worked for the company and knew the boss, so getting the job was easy. Subsequently, I've never been to a job interview in my life. I hated every second of the job with a burning passion, but it paid surprisingly well so I stayed there for five and a half years. I'm determined that my next job will be somewhere clean.

8.  On the topic of firsts, my first car was a purple '96 Hyundai Coupe. It was an awesome car - it drove like a charm and you could give it hell. However, my current car - a pretty blue '09 Ford Fiesta - is far better: it's sexy and has ipod connectivity. Best birthday present EVER.

9.  I've only once stepped foot in a church, for a christening, and I don't remember it at all. We joke that I would burst into flames if I ever did again.

10.  I'm fascinated by the darker side of human nature. Mass murderers, evil dictators, psychopaths, hate groups - it's all so very interesting to me. I think it's because it's so uniquely human: plenty of animals are loving and family-orientated and work well in groups, but it seems that only humans are capable of such premeditated hate and evil. I actually spent a lot of time studying neo-Nazi groups for a psychology project last year. Not as cool as studying serial killers (though it would be hard to find them), but it was eye-opening. Kind of like a car crash: really awful, but you can't look away. It all just amazes me in a sick sort of way.

11.  My favourite number is 3. Interestingly, my birthweight was 3.33kg.

12.  I used to be terrified of vacuum cleaners. I don't know if I thought I was going to be sucked up or what, but every time someone would turn ours on, I'd flee outside and hide until they were finished.

13.  I have a bigoted asshole for an uncle. He drinks heavily, wears boots and confederate caps, and once threatened to kill my gay best friend ... at Christmas. Needless to say, we don't see him anymore. Good riddance.

14.  I love participating in experiments. I love the tests and the electrodes and getting to theorise about what they're actually testing. I've had electric shocks sent into my forehead, had to answer difficult maths questions with a baby crying in the background, been put in a big rotating drum with black and white stripes to induce motion sickness, had capsaicin smeared on my arm for several days, and been paid to taste-test beer. It's fun!

15.  Erm ... I own a pair of fluffy pink handcuffs.

So there you go. I don't know if that was actually interesting or not, but ah well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment