I figure the typical answer to this question would be some type of food, so I'll take a slightly different path:
Attention and mental stimulation.
I'm a very confident person, but I'm constantly seeking recognition. Not in a "good girl *pat on the head*" sort of way, just ... I have such a desire to prove myself and I want to know that what I'm saying and doing is good enough. Maybe it's due to some deep-seated insecurity that I'm not even aware of, but the idea of not being any attention to or being seen as not having anything worthwhile to say is just terrifying.
And then, of course, I need mental stimulation. I can't stand not to be constantly learning things and nothing annoys me more than people who can't engage in deep conversation. Small talk is frustrating and as soon as I come across somebody who is capable of more than that, whose mind is full of the sort of stuff I love, I latch on. It's fairly rare, so it's a fantastic experience when it actually happens. Unfortunately, I tend to want to suck them dry very quickly. It's like a drug, I suppose. I need to have people I can look up to and learn from, or whom I can at least engage with on a similar level about things we share an interest in. If I go too long without it, I get restless and bored.
Both of these probably explain why I love the university environment so much. I'm in an environment in which I can prove myself; in which I can get quick feedback on my opinions and work. And, at the same time, it's full of intellectuals who are experts on all of the things I'm interested in. These are people whose minds I can pick, whose office hours I can abuse, and whom I can help make feel more important. After all, it must be a good feeling to have students care so much about what you're teaching, right? It's a win-win situation.
Musings on those things that are never simply black or white: language, politics, religion, psychology, human nature, and life itself.
Pages
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(47)
-
▼
October
(29)
- Day 25: What I would find in your bag
- Day 24: A letter to your parents
- Day 23: Something you crave a lot
- Day 22: What makes you different from everyone else
- You're an idiot
- Day 21: A picture of something that makes you happy
- Day 20: Someone you see yourself marrying or being...
- Day 19: Nicknames you have and why you have them
- Day 18: Plans/dreams/goals you have
- Day 17: Someone you would want to switch lives wit...
- Day 16: Another picture of yourself
- Day 15: Put you ipod on shuffle: first 10 songs th...
- Day 14: A picture of you and your family
- How progressive are you?
- Day 13: A letter to someone who has hurt you recently
- Day 12: How you found out about blogging and why y...
- Day 11: Another picture of you and your friends
- Day 10: Songs you listen to when you are happy, sa...
- Day 9: Something you're proud of in the past few days
- Day 8: Short term goals for this month and why
- Day 7: A picture of someone/something that has the...
- Day 6: Favourite super hero and why
- Day 5: A picture of somewhere you've been to
- Day 4: A habit that you wish you didn’t have
- Day 3: A picture of you and your friends
- Day 2: The meaning behind your blog name
- Day 1: A recent picture of you and 15 interesting ...
- 30 Day Challenge
- Donald Duck Meets Glenn Beck
-
▼
October
(29)
Followers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Nikki
-
23 year old student of linguistics, political science and international relations at UWA. Atheist. Psych grad. Devil's advocate.
Lover of language and languages, politics, psychology, anthropology, reason, tennis, dogs, foreign films, classical music, champagne, and procrastination.
Hater of religion, economics, cats, and RWNJs.
Labels
- 30 day challenge (31)
- angry (1)
- anxiety (1)
- atheism (1)
- australia (1)
- beliefs (1)
- blogging (1)
- Christmas (1)
- coincidence (3)
- Commonwealth Games (1)
- conspiracies (1)
- dreams (2)
- English (1)
- evil (1)
- evolution (1)
- exams (1)
- family (1)
- friends (1)
- Glenn Beck (1)
- goals (3)
- holiday (1)
- Jack (1)
- Kevin Rudd (1)
- language (1)
- memories (2)
- Murdoch (1)
- music (3)
- people (1)
- philosophy (1)
- plans (1)
- politics (4)
- procrastination (1)
- progressivism (1)
- psychism (1)
- quiz (1)
- religion (2)
- rtrfm (1)
- spies (1)
- Sydney (1)
- twitter (2)
- university (5)
- UWA (3)
- values (1)
0 comments:
Post a Comment