How did I find out about blogging? That's like asking how I found out about the internet. It's just always been there, hasn't it? If I had think about it though, I'd say my earliest recollection of blogs would be from when I was back in high school. Year 9, I think. One of my friends had a LiveJournal and, somehow, the idea of pouring one's life out for the entire world to read appealed to me too. So I created one too. I suppose mostly I was just interested in reading what said friend had written in his: he was far more candid there than he ever was in person, and I've always enjoyed seeing how different people's online personas are. People are far more honest on the internet, whether it's because they think their real-life friends will never read it, or that they simply don't care because they don't ever have to make eye contact with anyone while doing so.
But on the other hand, I also wanted a more permanent record of my life. Even if I'd ever bothered to write in a hardcopy diary (which I'd be incapable of because I edit far too much), it probably would have been lost along the way. And what good are memories, really? They're so flawed and it's easy to forget the true ones and invent false ones. Not to mention they're a poor reminder of what you were feeling at any given time. So that's why I started my first blog.
Looking at it now though, I don't know what I was thinking. It's terribly written, full of netspeak, and I've found at least one incorrect use of "your" and "you're". How embarrassing for somebody who now prides herself on her grammar. Fortunately, my subsequent blogs have been a little more tolerable. In the meantime, I've had a myspace blog, another LJ, a blog on a forum I frequent, and now this one. Apparently I've had this account for over two years, so obviously I had intended to start writing it sooner too.
Back to the reasons though. I'd like to say I still blog because I want a record of my life, and perhaps that's true to some extent, but these days I just like to talk about things. My internal monologue takes the form of a blog and it only makes sense to actually get it down. I want somewhere to write about all of the things that interest me - even if it is an eclectic mix - and have people read it. It doesn't even matter if it's only a few random people from around the world who will never actually comment. Most people I know aren't that interested in the same things I am and are probably sick of hearing all the random little facts about language, the brain, and humanity that I'm always coming out with. So here I am in my own little corner of the internet, writing about nothing significant and hoping that I can actually keep it up for more than a few months this time.
Musings on those things that are never simply black or white: language, politics, religion, psychology, human nature, and life itself.
Pages
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(47)
-
▼
October
(29)
- Day 25: What I would find in your bag
- Day 24: A letter to your parents
- Day 23: Something you crave a lot
- Day 22: What makes you different from everyone else
- You're an idiot
- Day 21: A picture of something that makes you happy
- Day 20: Someone you see yourself marrying or being...
- Day 19: Nicknames you have and why you have them
- Day 18: Plans/dreams/goals you have
- Day 17: Someone you would want to switch lives wit...
- Day 16: Another picture of yourself
- Day 15: Put you ipod on shuffle: first 10 songs th...
- Day 14: A picture of you and your family
- How progressive are you?
- Day 13: A letter to someone who has hurt you recently
- Day 12: How you found out about blogging and why y...
- Day 11: Another picture of you and your friends
- Day 10: Songs you listen to when you are happy, sa...
- Day 9: Something you're proud of in the past few days
- Day 8: Short term goals for this month and why
- Day 7: A picture of someone/something that has the...
- Day 6: Favourite super hero and why
- Day 5: A picture of somewhere you've been to
- Day 4: A habit that you wish you didn’t have
- Day 3: A picture of you and your friends
- Day 2: The meaning behind your blog name
- Day 1: A recent picture of you and 15 interesting ...
- 30 Day Challenge
- Donald Duck Meets Glenn Beck
-
▼
October
(29)
Followers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Nikki
-
23 year old student of linguistics, political science and international relations at UWA. Atheist. Psych grad. Devil's advocate.
Lover of language and languages, politics, psychology, anthropology, reason, tennis, dogs, foreign films, classical music, champagne, and procrastination.
Hater of religion, economics, cats, and RWNJs.
Labels
- 30 day challenge (31)
- angry (1)
- anxiety (1)
- atheism (1)
- australia (1)
- beliefs (1)
- blogging (1)
- Christmas (1)
- coincidence (3)
- Commonwealth Games (1)
- conspiracies (1)
- dreams (2)
- English (1)
- evil (1)
- evolution (1)
- exams (1)
- family (1)
- friends (1)
- Glenn Beck (1)
- goals (3)
- holiday (1)
- Jack (1)
- Kevin Rudd (1)
- language (1)
- memories (2)
- Murdoch (1)
- music (3)
- people (1)
- philosophy (1)
- plans (1)
- politics (4)
- procrastination (1)
- progressivism (1)
- psychism (1)
- quiz (1)
- religion (2)
- rtrfm (1)
- spies (1)
- Sydney (1)
- twitter (2)
- university (5)
- UWA (3)
- values (1)
0 comments:
Post a Comment