I have to cheat a little today. I can't upload any photos so I'm just going to have to write instead. Who has had the biggest impact on me?
The logical answer to the question would have to be my parents, right? They raised me, taught me things, encouraged me, gave me pretty things, and loved me unconditionally. Your parents and the way you're raised are obviously going to have the most significant impact on the way you turn out.
Honestly, I can't fault the job my parents did with me, except perhaps that they gave me too much and I've still yet to learn the value of things. But they pushed me just enough to succeed without ever being those overbearing parents who live vicariously through their children. They made sure I always had everything I needed and many of the things I wanted (except for the pony that every little girl wants). They bought me so many books when I was a kid: fairytales, novels, history books, science books - god, I loved science. I loved reading about how the earth works, about animals and ecosystems, about space, and most of all about dinosaurs and paleontology. I used to know everything about dinosaurs: all of their names, when and how they lived, what they ate, what their skeletons looked like; I just loved them. It's really no surprise that I have such a scientific mind these days after all the time I spent poring science books.
Then of course there's the fact that they never raised me with any religion. The horror stories I hear from others who were indoctrinated from birth make me incredibly grateful for this. It must be incredibly difficult to change your thinking when you've believed something your entire life; I couldn't imagine that. My parents wanted my brother and me to instead make up our own minds when we were old enough. I suppose it would have been awkward anyway - my mum was a Mormon for some time and although she doesn't follow it anymore, I think she still believes in something, and my dad is a staunch atheist. Interestingly, my brother and I have split off in the same way: he joined a Christian church several years ago and seems pretty happy with that, and I'm here in godless (ie. common sense) land.
I know there's so much more I could say, but it's getting very close to midnight and I don't want to run out of time to get this posted. Suffice to say, my parents have absolutely had the biggest impact on me. As far as the nature/nurture argument goes, I've always believed that nurture is by far the most compelling and powerful force. It shapes us so much more than our genes ever could, and we truly are the products of our environments and families. So I'm grateful beyond words for everything that my parents have done for me. They may not be the most financially successful people around, but they always managed a comfortable existence and did everything they could to ensure my brother and I had a great childhood and a happy family. And I think that makes them successful in a far more important way. How can you ever possibly repay that?
Musings on those things that are never simply black or white: language, politics, religion, psychology, human nature, and life itself.
Pages
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(47)
-
▼
October
(29)
- Day 25: What I would find in your bag
- Day 24: A letter to your parents
- Day 23: Something you crave a lot
- Day 22: What makes you different from everyone else
- You're an idiot
- Day 21: A picture of something that makes you happy
- Day 20: Someone you see yourself marrying or being...
- Day 19: Nicknames you have and why you have them
- Day 18: Plans/dreams/goals you have
- Day 17: Someone you would want to switch lives wit...
- Day 16: Another picture of yourself
- Day 15: Put you ipod on shuffle: first 10 songs th...
- Day 14: A picture of you and your family
- How progressive are you?
- Day 13: A letter to someone who has hurt you recently
- Day 12: How you found out about blogging and why y...
- Day 11: Another picture of you and your friends
- Day 10: Songs you listen to when you are happy, sa...
- Day 9: Something you're proud of in the past few days
- Day 8: Short term goals for this month and why
- Day 7: A picture of someone/something that has the...
- Day 6: Favourite super hero and why
- Day 5: A picture of somewhere you've been to
- Day 4: A habit that you wish you didn’t have
- Day 3: A picture of you and your friends
- Day 2: The meaning behind your blog name
- Day 1: A recent picture of you and 15 interesting ...
- 30 Day Challenge
- Donald Duck Meets Glenn Beck
-
▼
October
(29)
Followers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Nikki
-
23 year old student of linguistics, political science and international relations at UWA. Atheist. Psych grad. Devil's advocate.
Lover of language and languages, politics, psychology, anthropology, reason, tennis, dogs, foreign films, classical music, champagne, and procrastination.
Hater of religion, economics, cats, and RWNJs.
Labels
- 30 day challenge (31)
- angry (1)
- anxiety (1)
- atheism (1)
- australia (1)
- beliefs (1)
- blogging (1)
- Christmas (1)
- coincidence (3)
- Commonwealth Games (1)
- conspiracies (1)
- dreams (2)
- English (1)
- evil (1)
- evolution (1)
- exams (1)
- family (1)
- friends (1)
- Glenn Beck (1)
- goals (3)
- holiday (1)
- Jack (1)
- Kevin Rudd (1)
- language (1)
- memories (2)
- Murdoch (1)
- music (3)
- people (1)
- philosophy (1)
- plans (1)
- politics (4)
- procrastination (1)
- progressivism (1)
- psychism (1)
- quiz (1)
- religion (2)
- rtrfm (1)
- spies (1)
- Sydney (1)
- twitter (2)
- university (5)
- UWA (3)
- values (1)
0 comments:
Post a Comment